My first-born, Sami, will be leaving for college in less than a year. We don’t know yet where she’ll be headed though she did get one acceptance letter a couple of weeks ago.
Whenever I think about her leaving for this new chapter in her life I get super emotional as well as nostalgic about my own time in college. And then I start to think about what I want her to know before she goes. There are sooo many things I want to tell her but these are the top 10:
1) Going to college is a privilege, not a right. Study hard because we are working hard so you can have this opportunity.
2) As you’re studying hard, do make time to go out and have some fun, too. Make new friends but always remember this: your friends could make or break you. The right friends will have the same goals and aspirations as you. They will help you achieve them and cheer you on along the way. The wrong friends will take you down a different path.
3) Believe in yourself and know that you are capable of more than you think. Don’t be afraid of taking chances. You will definitely enjoy many successes in your college career but there will be failures, too. This is ok. You pick yourself back up and keep moving right along.
4) Always be aware of your surroundings. I know that college campuses are safe but you won’t always be on campus. Never go anywhere alone. Never ever risk your safety.
5) When you date someone, date someone who will bring out the best in you. This way you can give your best self and open yourself up to the sweetest kind of love you’ll ever experience. While we’re on the subject of boys, know that boys are competitive and they like the chase. If a boy has to put in work, he most likely will be thinking about how much he wants you and he’ll be more invested in his success. And after the chase is over, never stop challenging him.
6) It’s ok to be homesick. Whenever you miss your friends and family back home it’s natural. But we’re not going anywhere. We’ll always be here. If things ever get overwhelming I’ll be around to help you through it.
7) Never take a drink from anyone and always know where your drink came from. I’m serious on this. And never ever mix alcohol with driving. I’m seriously serious on this.
8) Check in on us once in a while. Once you get into the swing of things you’re going to find yourself extremely busy. But please, don’t ever be too busy to say hi. You don’t have to give us an entire run-down of what you’ve been doing but at least let us know you’re still alive and well. It doesn’t take long to send a quick text hello. Don’t make me hunt you down or write you guilt-laced letters like Mama did to me.
9) I’ll always be here for you whether you need me or not. Whenever you need to vent about anything or just need a shoulder to cry on, I hope you keep me as an option, even if I’m the very last option. I’ll just be a phone call away. 24/7.
10) Embrace the moment and make memories you’re going to cherish forever. I’ve told you time and time again that the college years were some of the best years of my life and that you’re going to enjoy yours. Soon you’ll realize that I was right.
On a completely different note, we pick up the newest, furriest member of our family today. Stay tuned! 🐾